New guidance on PPE use by disability workers in Victorian COVID-19 hotspots
The Australian Government is encouraging all disability workers in Victoria’s COVID-19 hotspots to use masks. You can access these through the National Medical Stockpile.
- In a joint media statement today, the Ministers for Health, the NDIS, and Aged Care and Senior Australians recommend the mandatory use of face masks by disability support workers in Victoria’s COVID-19 hotspot areas.
- One million masks are available through the National Medical Stockpile (NMS) for these workers, and more masks will be available if required.
- We will update our existing COVID-19 fact sheets to reflect this new advice.
- Disability providers in other areas, and self-managed NDIS participants should continue to access PPE through your regular channels.
Mandatory use of masks by disability workers in Victoria’s COVID-19 hotspots
In a joint media statement today, the Minister for Health, the Hon. Greg Hunt MP; the Minister for the National Disability Insurance Scheme, the Hon. Stuart Robert MP; and the Minister for Aged Care and Senior Australians, Senator the Hon. Richard Colbeck have announced new advice on the use of face masks by disability support workers in Victoria.
They recommend the mandatory use of masks by disability workers in the areas of Greater Melbourne and Mitchell Shire that have been declared COVID-19 hotspots.
One million masks are available through the NMS for use by these workers. Additional masks will be available if required.
The NDIS Commission will update COVID-19 information on our website to reflect this new guidance for disability workers in Victoria’s COVID-19 hotspots.
Use of PPE by disability workers in other areas
In line with previous advice, disability providers and self-managed NDIS participants in other areas should continue to access PPE through your usual channels. However, if you are unable to do this, email the NMS at NDISCOVIDPPE@health.gov.au.
Further information, alerts and resources
The Coronavirus (COVID-19) information webpage on the NDIS Commission website contains links to updates, training, alerts and other resources.
- Call: 1800 035 544 (free call from landlines). Our contact centre is open 9.00am to 4.30pm in the NT, 9.00am to 5.00pm in the ACT, NSW, QLD, SA, TAS and VIC Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays.
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.ndiscommission.gov.au
Links to previous COVID-19 provider alerts
- 13 July 2020: Reminder of COVID-19 reporting obligations
- 7 July 2020: Guidance on using personal protective equipment (PPE) for disability support workers
- 27 May 2020: Guidance from the Australian Government Department of Health
- 13 May 2020: Guidance on preventing, preparing for and dealing with a COVID-19 outbreak
- 7 May 2020: Advice for people with disability
- 30 April 2020: Changes to student visa work conditions for workers of registered NDIS providers
- 28 April 2020: FAQs for all stakeholders and information for NDIS participants
- 20 April 2020: Management and Operational Plan for People with Disability
- 9 April 2020: Further assistance for organisations, people and households
- 9 April 2020: April 2020 Provider Newsletter (COVID-19)
- 3 April 2020: Adjusting supports and reducing infection risk
- 2 April 2020: Practice Alert: Influenza (flu) vaccine from mid-April 2020
- 31 March 2020: Supporting providers to respond
- 26 March 2020: Assistance for organisations
- 24 March 2020: Information for support workers and access to PPE
- 19 March 2020: Business continuity planning
- 17 March 2020: Online training module for support workers
- 9 March 2020: Provider obligations and COVID-19 health information
- 7 February 2020: Information about the novel coronavirus outbreak